Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup:take 1

Since the beginning of the year we have been using this awesome service called Door to Door organics. It's like a crop share but funner! (name that vague movie reference)

Every week we get a box delivered to our door with fruits and veggies. The best thing about this service is that unlike a traditional crop share where you just get whatever you get, you can totally customize the box. You can say you want all local produce, all organic, all veg, all fruit, or you can substitute things out.

If I had seen that one week we were getting a butternut squash, I'd probably have subbed it out for something non intimidating like tomatoes, but alas, I forgot. So for the past 2 weeks Mrs Butternut has been sitting atop my microwave patiently waiting for me use her. That doesn't sound good... Patiently waiting for me to chop her up and cook her. Yeah, that's even worse. Anyways, the truth is that I was just waiting for it to rot so I could feel less guilty about throwing it away. But last night I finally made something out of the intimidating butternut squash! SOUP

Here's my sort of step-by-step ala Pioneer Woman attempt at making soup

Step 1: Not pictured. Assess the situation. Butternut squash looks like a falis. I'm sorry, I just woke up from a Mucinex induced sleep coma.

Step 2: Skin & gut the Squash. This step-not gonna lie- might just be the reason I never make this soup again. Skinning is a bitch and if anyone knows an easier way to do this, let me know.





Step 3: Dice the squash into cubes and throw some EVOO and S&P to taste. Bake @ 400 for about 20-30 minutes or until tender.



Step 4: Blend or Food process with chicken stock or veg. stock it until it looks like thin baby food. PS, I'm totally making my own baby food when we have kids. It's so simple and all natural and cheap and you can make a ton. Check back with me after we actually have a baby to see if I'm doing it.





Step 5: Put squash/chicken stock into pot and add more stock if it needs it for texture. Next you can add more s&p to taste, or add nutmeg or whatever your little heart desires. I added cayenne pepper and it was awesome. Just a touch though, or it will send you through the roof.


Step 6: Not pictured. ENJOY!




4 comments:

  1. Next time, just slice the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and EVOO and S&P to taste. Place both halves on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven. A 2-3 lbs squash will take 1-1 1/2 hours to cook. Pull it out of the oven, put a shallow slice through the back of each half and the skin will peel off in 4 large pieces. Then just puree the rest like you did before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the home organics delivery thing too. I refuse to make substitutions....I see it as a personal challenge! If you ever need a good kale recipe, let me know, LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe or not, a vegetable peeler also works really well for skinning a butternut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I got some butternut squash yesterday from the market. Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock and the recipe fits in with the week! :-)

    ReplyDelete