Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

One week at a time

I thrive when my 29 year old brain tells my 6 year old brain "this is what we're doing, deal with it." If I don't have a plan, usually I just plain ole' fail. A failure to plan is a plan for failure!

I hate that saying. It seems like a 1950’s woman in an apron should be saying that about making her husband’s meal schedule for the week, or laying out his socks. If she doesn’t plan accordingly, than what will she do if the boss suddenly pops over for dinner unannounced and there’s not enough creamed spinach and meatloaf?

But the truth is, for me, I really need to plan. I thrive on structure, even though my life and house are usually in a mild to medium state of chaos. We haven’t seen the bottom of the laundry pile in who knows how long. When I cook, tomato sauce ends up on the ceiling, even if I’m not using tomato sauce! When I brush my teeth, toothpaste runs down my hand and globs up in the sink and sprays the mirror. When I wash my face it looks like a tsunami hit the bathroom. You get the point. Really, I’m a walking tornado. You would think I would just accept my tornado-ness, but I can’t. I think it’s the perfectionist in me that lives in this duality. I love to makes lists, but rarely live by them. I can’t bother feeling restricted by rules (like flossing), yet I thrive when I actually follow through with my plans. I’m a total contradiction (insert bad female power country song here.)

Now I understand that I can still have my tornado like qualities and “don’t chain me down” mentality all I want and really live a pretty productive life. When it comes to losing weight, however, I feel like the free love mentality just leaves me stagnant.

So I'm going to really try and fight the urge to rebel against my own plan and actually set out some goals for the week. I'm getting anxious just saying the words "goals" and "plan" in the same sentence. I have joiners anxiety, even if the thing I'm joining is on my own accord and the club I'm joining is my own fan club. OK, here I go...let's just rip this off like a band-aid.

Monday-5:30 Spin
Tuesday-5:15 Yoga
Wednesday-30 day Shred
Thursday-Bike
Friday-9:00am Pilates

The thing is...this weight ain't gonna lose itself! Mama's got some Chicago dress shopping coming up, remember? And let's not forget the hats!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan. I totally get where you are coming from. Consisteny is a 4 letter word in my house. But, weight loss needs consistecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so where's the plan for my dinners and socks? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a great plan! I agree with you...having a plan, or a short term goal to shoot for is very helpful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're kind of my hero...just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stumbled upon you blog, cant wait to catch up. But "failure to plan is a plan for failure" has been my favorite saying since i heard it on Sugar and Spice.

    ReplyDelete