Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Chicken Curry

I made the best chicken curry last night. I mean, GOOD. Here's the recipe

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion
good quality curry powder 3 tblspoons (I used a mix of HOT yellow curry and a Moroccan spice blend)
1 bay leaf
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 potato
paprika 1tsp
cinnamon 1tsp
fresh ginger-1/2 teaspoon grated or finely chopped
fresh garlic-2-4 cloves
salt-to taste
Plain Yogurt-1 cup
Lite coconut milk-1/2cup
Frozen peas-1/2 the standard size bag... maybe 1.5-2 cups?

Instructions:
Dice whole onion and saute in pan with some evoo or grapeseed oil until lightly browned. Add chopped garlic, ginger, curry powder, paprika, cinnamon. Saute for a minute or two. The mixture will be very dry, you can add a little bit more grapeseed oil, but not much. Add diced chicken (bitsize) and cook for a couple minutes, stir often. Add yogurt and coconut oil and bay leaf & thawed frozen style peas. Stir and bring to a small boil. The reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Be careful to not let the mix boil again. I did this... whoops. Lastly add the diced potato to the mix, stir together for another minute or two and serve in a bowl.

Tip: start the potato boiling before hand so it's ready at the end. My recommendation is use the best spices you can find. It's all about the spice quality in this dish! I used some awesome curry and some Indonesian cinnamon and it was out of this world! I bought the paprika from Safeway though... no need to spend $$ on paprika in my opinion. This recipe calls for 3/4 cup of coconut milk, but I reduced it for caloric purposes. In the end it's supposed to yield 4 servings with 360 calories per serving.

I know this doesn't follow the BFL plan to a T, but for my sanity I needed to make something interesting and still healthy. I think this covers most of the bases and if you focus on your portion size, it's still really good. You can always half the lite coconut milk or omit it completely and just use the yogurt, or take out the potatoes, but for me that's what gives it a little more substance.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks soo good. Do you think I could substitute tofu or something non-meaty?

    I love the blog..so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally making this tonight! I'm going to omit the potato for brown rice, and I'm going to add steamed cauliflower and TONS of carrots.. because carrots are my fav. Good job, sis! You're doing great! Love you!

    ReplyDelete